Global Tourism > Destinations > B&B
Inn Britannia Bed and Breakfast or Apartment or Condo
New England, Searsport Maine, USA
Inn Britannia was awarded Best Breakfast
in New England in 2005 & 2006
A full cooked scrumptious award-winning breakfast is served each morning in the Inn's Dining Room, complete with a cozy fireplace for those mornings when a crackling fire helps to warm you as you start your day.
We can also serve an optional dinner.
At Inn Britannia we know you want more than just a room for the night. You choose to stay at a bed and breakfast for the luxury and intimacy of elegant surroundings, superb hospitality, and, of course, exceptional gourmet breakfasts. You want the "Bed and Breakfast Experience!"
Nestled on five acres of gorgeous English gardens and dense natural woods, Inn Britannia offers the most elegant accommodations, the most bountiful gourmet breakfasts and the friendliest hosts on Maine’s mid-coast. Built in 1830, Inn Britannia is an historic sea captain’s home - lovingly restored, beautifully decorated and comfortably furnished with exquisite antiques. Our rooms are air conditioned for your comfort.
Enjoy the romance of a candlelit breakfast in the original, wood-beamed dining room warmed by a cozy wood fire – the massive mantle was floated ashore from the Atlantic Ocean. Individual tables are set with imported linens, English chintz china, sterling silver and delicate crystal – and always – fresh flowers. The rolled glass windows and wide-plank, pumpkin pine floors are original.
Inn Britannia's beautiful gardens and natural woods are the only "Backyard Wildlife Habitat" certified by the National Wildlife Federation on Maine's mid-coast. You might quickly spot deer or fox as you stroll in our woods or as you walk down our private lane to Penobscot Bay. With our numerous birdfeeders and fountains you are sure to enjoy the acrobatic aerial flight of dozens of goldfinches and the amazing graceful dance of the ruby-throated hummingbirds that nest around the inn. We are visited by Ruffled grouse, turkey, the beautiful red cardinal, the indigo bunting and several varieties of warblers.
Inn Britannia’s perfect location presents an easy drive to all Maine coast activities and destinations. From Bar Harbor and Acadia to Camden and Boothbay Harbor, Inn Britannia is an hour or less from whale watching, sailing, antiquing, shopping, hiking, snow-mobiling, skiing, swimming and some of the most awesome photo opportunities in the world! Inn Britannia welcomes guests to the perfect beauty of Maine’s four distinct seasons. Enjoy the pristine quiet of a fresh snowfall, the lilac scent of a spring afternoon, the excitement of summer festivals and the unparalleled splendor of our New England autumn leaves. From the front of the inn you can enjoy a short walk down our private lane and enjoy a secluded visit to Penobscot Bay!
- Located in the “heart of England” the Cotswolds is an area of pasture & farmland, ancient villages with narrow winding lanes, honey-colored stone cottages, thatched roofs and exquisite flower gardens. This first floor guestroom has a queen sleigh bed and private bath with shower. Rose and lilac colors create the ambiance of a secret garden.
The Britannia Suite
- The Britannia Suite has a bedroom decorated in rich blues with a queen bronze sleigh bed and private bath with deep soaking tub and shower. This bedroom is decorated for Stratford-upon-Avon, an ancient town in the midlands famous for its most colorful character, William Shakespeare. Here the master was born, lived and romanced while gaining inspiration for his sonnets, poems and plays. The handsome Tudor-styled home of Shakespeare’s birth and the thatched-roof cottage & gardens of his wife, Anne Hathaway still stand today. A full collection of Shakespeare's works and other memorabilia from the bard and his home decorate this beautiful first floor bedroom.
- Connected to the bedroom of the Britannia Suite is a delightful sitting room with another full bath plus cable television and a comfortable futon. The inspiration for this room's decor comes from the medieval town of Warwick. Warwick Castle still stands today and is one of the finest examples of the quintessential English castle - complete with ramparts, drawbridge, dungeon and great feasting hall. This room is decorated with tapestries, a knight's helmet and other interesting items from the ancient days of heraldry.
- London is Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, The Tower and Bridge, Westminster Abbey, the Houses of Parliament, Hyde Park, Piccadilly Circus, Petticoat Lane, speeding taxis, double-decker buses and wonderful Harrods, where you can literally purchase anything you can imagine…for a price, of course. Decorated in shades of deep burgundy and gold and furnished with London memorabilia, this room has a queen brass bed and private bath with shower. Other amenities include cable television, a separate entrance that can easily accommodate travelers with pets, and a wonderful private deck overlooking the lush fern-filled woods.
- The city of Dover with its white cliffs and ancient castle have long served as the front for England’s remarkable battles for freedom. During the First World War Dover Harbor served as a base for the Dover Patrol, a flotilla responsible for keeping the straits open for shipping. The promise of bluebirds over the White Cliffs of Dover provided a ray of hope to thousands of battle weary soldiers during the Second World War. This room, in shades of khaki and green, has a queen four poster iron bed, a separate twin bed and a private bath with shower…and, of course, a bluebird.
- In 1917 King George V adopted the family name of Windsor, after the castle of the same name. Today any British royal who is styled “Royal Highness” belongs to the House of Windsor. Our largest guest accommodation, the Windsor Suite is truly fit for royalty. This vaulted suite offers a lovely bay window with a view to the ocean & gardens, beautiful antique furnishings and an ornately carved queen cherry wood queen bed with velvety linens. Special amenities include a gas fireplace, a down-filled chaise lounge. wet bar, cable television, separate sitting room with a daybed and lots of plush pillows, a large private bath with an antique soaking tub and oversized shower. Even if for just one night you will love experiencing the delectable privilege of being royal.
- Brighton is a gala coastal city in the south of England with sea breezes, sandy beaches and wind-weathered boardwalks. Its popularity as a resort began when George IV, while Prince Regent, acquired some property and later spent time in the city with a very colorful entourage. He commissioned what is today the Royal Pavilion. Completed in 1822 this Arabian & oriental style palace is a symbol of the extravagant Bohemian spirit of Brighton. This sunny room, with a peek at the ocean, captures the colors of sunshine & seaside. The Brighton has a queen cherry wood panel bed, a comfortable club chair and private bath with shower.
- Nottingham, in the north of England, was home to Nottingham Castle, a symbol of Norman wealth & power. This castle became a favorite of English kings during the Middle Ages because of Sherwood Forest, the royal game preserve and, unfortunately for the king, a hideout for the gallant Robin Hood. With a full bed and large private bath with deep Clawfoot soaking tub and European shower, the décor captures the soothing shades of a velvety forest. Sleep beneath the trees and the stars in the Nottingham.
Inn Britannia offers the following for guest use:
- Wireless internet service
- "Pub Computer" with internet available - at no additional cost.
- Data port, fax and Xerox machine
- Complimentary bath toiletries, hair dryer and hot pot in every room
- Bottomless cookie jar and chocolates hidden everywhere
- Sketch pads, charcoal pencils, water colors
- “Fully-equipped” picnic baskets, blankets and beach towels
- Gardens and woods for a quiet stroll
- Private lane to a secluded rocky beach
- Croquette and badminton on the lawn
- Refrigerator & microwave oven
- Binoculars and bird books
- Outdoor grills where you can prepare your own picnic dinner
- A large library of Maine guide books, maps and area brochures.
Housekeeping Apartment and Condo
Inn Britannia offers a fully furnished, housekeeping apartment available for weekly rental. This open loft-style apartment is located on the inn’s grounds, but is totally separate from the Inn, with it’s own private entrance. Approximately 1000 sq. ft., the apartment sleeps 4. It has a living room w/cable television, bedroom with double bed and two twin beds, full kitchen with all appliances, and large bathroom. You’ll enjoy wonderful views, including a peek at Penobscot Bay!
We also offer a weekly rental on Cape Cod in Brewster, MA. Full housekeeping condo, with 2 bedrooms and 2 baths, vaulted living room with fireplace and cable television, dining room, full furnished kitchen, laundry, and patio with barbeque grill. Indoor swimming pool, tennis courts, adjacent to a golf course and wonderfully convenient to all the delightful Cape Cod attractions.
Map: Where is Searsport, Maine?