Accommodations and attractions, real estate listings (including FSBO), business directory, sports and recreation and health and social services of historic northern Ontario town.
Bruce Mines, as the name implies, was first established in 1846 as a copper mining community, employing skilled Cornish miners who had recently emigrated from England. The Bruce Mines changed ownership several times between 1847 and 1944, when they were decommissioned. Flooding and cave-ins in 1876 ended the 30-year period of active mining history. The town, the first in northern Ontario, was officially incorporated in 1903. Agriculture, forestry, aggregate extraction and tourism are currently the main economic activities of the area.
Besides the restored Simpson copper mine shaft that can be toured, Bruce Mines offers a museum and marina for local visitors, as well as numerous events throughout the year, including the Four and Friends Art Show and Sale in July and the Fall Fair in September. With not only Lake Huron at its doorstep but a variety of inland lakes within easy driving distance, Bruce Mines and area provides ample opportunity for fishing, canoeing and other water-based recreational activities. Birdwatching, rock hounding, hunting, hiking the nearby Voyageur Trail and self-guided fall color tours are also available to outdoor enthusiasts. In the winter, snowmobiling area trails, cross-country skiing and ice skating at the local arena are popular activities, along with attending hockey games and ice skating shows and competitions.
Bruce Mines Chamber of Commerce
P.O. Box 402, Bruce Mines,
Ontario P0R 1C0
Region - Algoma
Closest Town - Bruce Mines
Open All Year - Yes