Global Tourism > Destinations > Lodge, Motel, Resort
Lodge, Cabins, Fly-In Outposts, Tours
Nestor Falls, Ontario
We are located approximately 65 miles north of the Fort Frances-International Falls, MN border crossing. Follow Highways 11/71 west and 71 north to Nestor Falls, ON. For guests traveling by air, scheduled airline service is available into International Falls, MN with Mesaba Air/Northwest Airlines connecting through Minneapolis. Nestor Falls also has it's own compacted, 3800' airstrip for private aircraft. Customs can be cleared at Fort Frances.
Main Camp at Nestor Falls:
Our log lodge on Lake of the Woods is the gathering place for guests and home to our family. Built in 1986, it's warmth reflects the long Helseth tradition of hospitality. Our unique collection of wildlife mounts, carvings and memorabilia have been gathered over Tinker's lifetime of flying and fishing the north. The extraordinary outdoor log pavilion hosts fish fries, outdoor breakfasts and even the occasional wedding! It, too, features a number of remarkable log creations hand carved by Tinker himself.
MAIN CAMP PACKAGES:
- All-inclusive Deluxe American Plan package features daily guided fly-out fishing, all meals and cabin accommodations. Visit our American Plan link for complete trip details.
- Cabin rentals: The cabins at the main camp are available to rent. Bring along your own boat, or we can arrange to rent a boat/motor for you. (Rates available on request) or, just sit on the deck and take in the beautiful scenery and RELAX!
- Remote outpost locations on Crooked, Entwine, Kairarskons, Kishkutena, Loonhaunt and Penassi are all located within 60 air miles of Nestor Falls and offer excellent fishing with simple, yet comfortable accommodations.
- Our American Plan retreat at Kaiarskons offers a one-of-a-kind experience. Step back in time at this pristine location for unmatched fishing variety, spectacular scenery and a glimpse back at the lifestyle of days long past.
FALL TRAPPING WITH TINKER:
- This newest outing is an extraordinary wilderness opportunity to join Tinker for a week on his trap line. It's a forgotten culture and unique opportunity that few have enjoyed.
SPRING, SUMMER AND FALL ADVENTURE AT KAIARSKONS LAKE
American Plan trips to our remote Kaiarskons retreat offer a combination of exploration, adventure and relaxation throughout the season.
You'll be staying in our deluxe 2-bedroom cabin complete with Hot Shower, fully-furnished living room with huge screened in porch, well equipped kitchen, solar-powered lights, ceiling fans, plus hot and cold running water. Clean, outdoor privy is onsite. All bed linens and towels are furnished, and your meals are served in our nearby log chalet, with breakfast cooked daily on the fabulous wood stove! Do bring along your personal beverages and snacks. There's plenty of fridge/freezer space and we keep a good supply of ice on site.
Spring, early summer and fall brings unmatched fishing variety to this special pocket of wilderness. Besides fishing Kaiarskons itself, added fishing opportunities abound at these Portage lakes:
- Upper and Lower Furlong Lakes offer excellent northern action by casting spinner baits and rattle traps, with terrific small mouth action by casting a jig and grubtail.
- Smoulder Lake is where you'll find beautiful golden-colored walleyes, with most in the 1 to 3 lb. range-perfect shore lunch size!
- Loonhaunt Lake offers trout, northern, bass and walleye fishing well worth the one-mile walk. You may even extend this outing by overnighting at our cabin on the Loonhaunt side of the portage.
The summer and early fall weeks at Kaiarskons are ideal for exploration of the rugged, Precambrian beauty of this wilderness area. It is a photographer's dream, with pristine shorelines, crystal clear waters and abundant bird activity. Hike the moss-carpeted portages and ancient bush trails where you'll likely encounter a friendly snowshoe hare, or may even get a glimpse of a moose, deer or bear. Longer outings will bring you to abandoned gold mines and ancient Indian pictographs. For the more adventuresome, there's mountain biking on abandoned logging roads, cliff jumping and rock climbing.
Kaiarskons is truly a birder's paradise, with nesting terms, gulls, red-necked grebes, plus herons, bald eagles and loons. At the cabin, you'll delight in the daily routine of feisty, ruby-throated hummingbirds, the extremely tame Canada Jays (whiskey jacks); various hard-working woodpeckers and the occasional ruffed or spruce grouse. Chickadees and vireos are heard throughout the day, evening grosbeaks visit regularly, and you'll learn how the white-throated sparrow's song will predict the weather!
We'll pick fresh vegetables from the garden and berries when plentiful. You haven't lived until you've experienced homemade pie baked in the woodstove! Quiet evenings are spent enjoying the serenity-perhaps a moonlight paddle to stargaze, or maybe even a lucky glimpse of the northern lights. We'll share stories of the early pioneers, and you'll be amazed when you see the recovered, 38' boat used back in the early logging era.
Tinker's Places LTD.
P.O. Box 266, Nestor Falls, Ontario POX-1K0
Winter: 1-(800) 221-2146 - Summer: 1-(807) 484-2664
Map: Where is Nestor Falls, Ontario?